Smriti Irani in Lok Sabha: Off-campus centres need to shut down
nstitutions that have started off-campus centres without prior permission from University Grants Commission (UGC) or Human Resource Development (HRD) Ministry may have to shut down their campuses. The UGC had asked such institutions to close their centres, last month. According to PTI reports, the HRD Minister, Smriti Irani has said in a written reply to Lok Sabha on December 7 that UGC had listed some institutions which were running off-campus centres without prior permission, either from UGC or the Ministry.
She also mentioned the name of the institutions that have been running off-campus centres without prior permission. Check the list below:
1. Banasthali Vidyapeeth (Rajasthan)
2. Birla Institute of Technology (Mesra)
3. Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences (Pilani)
4. Homi Bhabha National Institute (Mumbai)
5. Indian School of Mines (Dhanbad)
6. Indian Veterinary Research Institute (Izatnagar, UP)
7. Lakshmibai National Institute of Physical Education (Gwalior)
8. Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Sciences (Mumbai)
9. Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (Mumbai)
10. Ponnaiyah Ramajayam Institute of Science and Technology (Thanjavur)
"Accordingly, UGC vide letter dated Nov 9, 2015 has asked the institutions to close off-campus centres of these institutions which have been started or established without prior permission of the ministry," she said.
READ: UGC Guidelines: 10 institutes including BITS Pilani, TIFR asked to shut down off campus centres